Psychotherapy, Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) and hypnotherapy in a nutshell
Psychotherapy encourages communication about conflicts and provides insights into problems that helps us understand and overcome the underlying issues. As we relieve ourselves of these symptoms we can change our behaviour allowing us to become happier, more self-confident and more effective in our day-to-day living. Psychotherapy supports you as you:
- Face your problems
- Understand them
- Make decisions on how to cope better, and
- Change how you feel about them
As one of my colleagues said, “in other words, it’s looking at your past and present to create a better future”.
Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP)
NLP works on changing things right now to meet goals and fulfil ambitions. By examining how you structure and store your life experiences, you can more clearly understand ‘where you’re at’, ‘where you want to be’ and ‘what you need to do to bridge that gap’.
In essence the definition of NLP is:
- Neuro – the way information is fed to the brain through our five senses (sight, hearing, smell, touch and taste)
- Linguistic – how we interpret and use verbal and non-verbal communications, depending on our personal experiences and beliefs
- Programming – how the information stored in our brains governs our thinking, emotions and behaviour
Therefore, NLP helps us to understand the relationship between how we think (Neuro), how we communicate (Linguistic) and our patterns of behaviour (Programming). And, just like computer software, you can choose to re-programme your behaviour if its not working in the way you wish. With NLP you can become more motivated, set key targets and meet your new goals.
Hypnotherapy lets us to explore deep rooted feelings about past and present experiences and relationships in a totally safe and confidential environment. It enables us to look at our ‘learned’ behaviour and emotional blocks in a new way which means we can move forward on a path we choose for ourselves.
As we relax and go into a hypnotic trance the therapist can communicate more easily with our subconscious mind, the seat of our emotions, skills and habits. This allows beneficial changes to be effected on the way we think and feel. And don’t worry, hypnosis is not something that I or anyone else can do to you. Forget the TV shows and vaudeville acts – these show people who willingly want to perform! I simply encourage you to do it yourself, resolve issues and move on.
Here are some facts about being under hypnosis:
- You do not surrender control
- You are not asleep or in any way unconscious
- You can’t be made to do anything you don’t want to do, reveal any secrets or go against your beliefs or principles
- You can talk, open your eyes and become consciously aware at any time
Contact me for a no-obligation chat to find out more.